Several people are already serving quarantine and others will surely have to do so in the coming days, many of them with children without classes, and this can cause stress and anxiety. In this post you will learn tips to keep these days as good as possible.
A few days ago, “staying home” was given as a recommendation to avoid the spread of COVID 19 infections. At the end of last week, the official quarantines began, and as the days progress, this will surely continue to increase.
Therefore, it is important that we know some tips to manage these days of little freedom in the best possible way. A situation like the one we are experiencing today can imply little control and vulnerability, accompanied by emotions of helplessness, sadness, stress, anger, among others, psychologically impacting people. Therefore, it is very necessary to create spaces in which their thoughts and feelings can be expressed.
Sleep disturbances, appetite, increased irritability, a greater need to be accompanied and difficulty concentrating are expected, according to the specialist. You have to worry when there is a significant loss of weight, frequent nightmares, setbacks in the development of children, a constant attitude of fear, self-harm and loss of consciousness, among others.
Take care of our mental health and prevent anxiety
– Avoid constantly reading or listening to news about the coronavirus. It is important to be informed, but at a specific moment in the day; the rest carry out other activities that are not related to the topic.
– Understand that we are making a “solidarity sacrifice” by keeping us in quarantine, for the greater good, helping others and society and not giving it the connotation of “they don’t let us out.”
– Adapt the information and transmit it to the children, in order to give them peace of mind and reduce fears. Consider age, educational level, health status, etc.
– Respond to children’s concerns, clearly and honestly. Explain that the symptoms are very mild in them.
– Focus on prevention measures, so that the little ones feel safe. Example, hand washing for 20 seconds.
Likewise, it is important to explain to children and students why it is necesary not to leave their homes, that these are not holidays and this is not for fear that they will be infected, but rather to protect people with lack of health, fragile.
Indoor activities to prevent anxiety
The first thing is to keep a schedule and routine, since in uncertain times, it will be very helpful to lead a life as normal as possible.
– Find ways of physical activity that we can do at home. Training for adults with the things we have at home and movement circuits for children.
– Use technology to stay connected with our loved ones, conduct virtual meetings.
– Carry out manual activities; on the internet we can find a lot of information about it.
– Plan a daily routine the day before and stick to it.
– Cooking as a family.
– Encourage conversation; get together and become aware of the difficulties these days can pose.
Remember that the family is a team in which each of its members must collaborate and support each other.